Kaid Benfield, Director, Sustainable Communities, Washington, DC
Rohit “Rit” Aggarwala leads the environmental program at Bloomberg Philanthropies. Previously, he was chief advisor to New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg on environmental policy, and led the development and implementation of the justly heralded PlaNYC. He also assisted Mayor Bloomberg on New York’s participation in C40 Cities, “a network of large and engaged cities from around the world” that are addressing solutions to climate change. Bloomberg is the current chair of C40.
In this short video produced by Gen/Connect, Aggarwala succinctly makes the point that city dwellers are the most efficient users of environmental resources. As I have opined before, I think he’s right. He also stresses that, to make the most of the urban dividend for sustainability, we need our cities to be safe and clean. Enjoy:
- Seeing cities as the environmental solution, not the problem (August 9, 2011)
- New evidence that city trees reduce crime (June 13, 2012)
- 5 videos that could change the way you see cities (April 11, 2012)
- The city of the future (January 2, 2012)
- Report highlights exemplary clean water practices in Philadelphia, Milwaukee, other cities (November 17, ...
Link to original article / Continue Reading...
On Switchboard, NRDC experts respond to the day's news and share their views, insights and expertise on energy conservation, global warming science, and many other environmental topics.